“One minute to midnight
One minute to go
One minute to say good-bye
Before we say hello
Let’s watch the old year die
With a fond good-bye
And our hopes as high
As a kite”
— Bing Crosby, Let’s Start the New Year Right
This blogpost is about some computer related things I did in 2017 and also includes some general blog related aspects:
- 2017 began very good. I registered my shiny new domain “www.parobalth.org” and managed to setup https with Let’s encrypt. I also moved this blog from github user pages to my new hosting provider nearlyfreespeech.
- I installed Debian on my new libreboot T400 laptop.
- I managed to install Debian Stretch on my NextThing C.h.i.p. There are two relevant email-threads about it. One on the arm-netbook mailing list and one on the debian-arm mailing list. I still owe a proper write up for the Debian Wiki.
- In 2016 I backed Runcible kickstarter. My reward still is not here and is heavily delayed (more than a year). I am unhappy about it.
- In 2016 I backed EOMA68 kickstarter. Production of the Computer Cards is delayed.. As there are very good reasons for the delay I am fine with it and still very excited about the project.
- I am still a mutt user and like it a lot.
- I started to use pass as my main password store. It works great and neatly fits into my command line habits.
- I still read my RSS-feeds with tiny tiny rss on a shared hosting server. With my new libreboot T400 laptop tiny tiny rss loads much faster than on my netbook so I am using newsbeuter less.
- I used VimFX heavily during 2017 and am now a convinced user. I don’t miss Pentadactyl at all.
- In 2016 I started a journal as a soup.io group for testing purposes. Then Soup.io went dead for a few weeks. All my journal data and my account data has been lost. This is a reminder to not invest to much time and energy in services you don’t control. At least you should be able to locally backup your data.
- I ordered a serial-to-usb converter cable from ThinkPenguin and a TPE-N150USB wifi adapter.
- I started to explore linux-sunxi and how to compile u-boot and the linux kernel (armhf).
- Vim: Mapped “jk” in insert mode as Escape sequence and already miss it on my other computers.
- After my GIF screencast how-to-post in 2016 I created two GIFS in 2017 for my Keyboard shortcut to hide and unhide an autohidden panel post
- In 2017 I wrote some decent blogposts (for example: Redshirts book review, Keyboard shortcut to hide and unhide an autohidden panel or Book review: Manage your day-to-day)
- I am still behind with a lot of drafts, ideas and projects. Let us hope the best for 2018! :)
- I am very satisfied with nearlyfreespeech as a webhost and can recommend it! Please read their FAQ and see if it fits your skills and needs.
Traffic and Feedback¶
- Traffic was quite low.
- Feedback was almost non existent. I only got one hilarious (spam?!) message about my post Thoughts on NextThing C.h.i.p. where I quote Eric S. Raymonds “How to become a Hacker”.
I noticed you are mentioning hacking on your page here:
I thought your users would benefit from learning more on the history of hacking and how it evolved. There is a great resource here below on the 20 biggest hacking attacks the world has seen:
(some random link, looking fishy so I removed it)
I’m sure your users would appreciate if you share this resource as well on your page.
In hope for a more secured net.
Thanks in advance,
To sum it up I believe it was a decent year hard- and software wise. Still I am quite happy what I managed to do this year. Everything else is cancelled and postponed for 2018. 2017 is over.
I still have a lot of drafts, ideas and (unfinished) projects for 2018. Stay tuned and Happy New Year!
If you have any questions, suggestions, thoughts and comments please feel free to email me.
License of this blog post:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.